Sunday, April 17, 2011

Growing Up

So it's official; there are exactly 2 weeks left at High Point University for me this year. My sophomore year is coming to a close and I am now halfway done with college. It's time to really start growing up. But what is growing up anyway? I think I've began to figure it out, but of course how would I even know if I'm not even there yet.

But here's what I believe growing up is:

- Realizing you're in college for education. You're there to prepare yourself for your future career, not for every little formal and social event.
- Taking responsibility for your actions and learning to be a mature adult
- Swallowing your pride and realizing the world doesn't revolve around you
- Maybe moving a little off campus to become more independent
- Managing your time and prioritizing
- Having a job, managing your money, and not asking mommy and daddy for money all the time
- Being able to take care of yourself and your belongings without being told to
- And a whole lot more.

Growing up is hard. It's been one of those things I think about a lot. I walk around campus and I see people and I hear stories...and I'm sickened sometimes. Some people are incredibly immature and just "don't get it", if you know what I mean. I know I'm more mature than they are...but it also lets me know that I still have a ways to go.

I'm at a point where I know I need to really make some decisions. I need to really focus on my major and my future. I have to fully commit to acting, dancing, and singing for the next two years so that I can learn as much as I can. I need to start being more responsible with money and save it for emergencies. I need to start letting go of people in my life who only hold me back. I have to really prioritize and make time for everything. There's a lot that I need to do. I'm unprepared for now.

I know that there is no way I could fend for myself or make it own my own if I weren't in school right now. Not even that. If i went to a bigger state school I probably wouldn't be doing that great. It's sad, and I need to step up. But, I know it doesn't happen over night...it's a learning and growing process and it will eventually happen over time.

So here's to growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment